I am going to document my trip to Melbourne in bullet points and photos. If I actually wrote about my time there this post would turn into a mini novel.
- Flew down to Melbourne in the morning on Virgin Blue. Didn’t appreciate watching footage of the plane in the Hudson River as we took off over water.
- Max picked us up at the airport and we drove around Melbourne before picking up Glenn and going out to lunch on Lygon St
- Went to dinner at an old family friends’ place. It was fantastic to see them all again.
- Drove to Arthur’s Seat to go strawberry picking. Discovered chocolate covered freezed dried strawberries.
- Drove to Rosebud on the Mornington Peninsula and played frisbee on the beach in ankle deep water.
- Had drinks at the Sorrento Hotel.
- Sorrento Hotel seems to be a fan of Passive Aggressive Notes
- Camera had a flat battery so was left at home :(
- Caught the train into Melbourne and played tourist for the day.
- Went to Australian Centre for Moving Image (ACMI) and saw the model of the set of my father’s and my favourite French film “Mon Oncle“.
- Saw trapeze artists teaching kids how to do tricks on the trapeze on Swanston Street. Was amazing to see a trapeze set up on a busy street in the middle of the city.
- Ate mini cupcakes at Little Cupcakes.
- Went to the Old Melbourne Goal, got locked up in a prison cell and saw a re-enactment of the Ned Kelly trial.
- Went to St Kilda on a crowded tram and ate gorgeous Vegetarian food at SoulMama.
- Geeked out at the Scienceworks museum and planetarium until the noise of screaming children drove us away
- Wandered around Melbourne and then sat at the James Squire Brewhouse and waited for Susan to finish at the Australian Open and Glenn to finish work.
- Went shopping and managed to buy my parents’ birthday presents. For the first time ever I am organised.
- Went to lunch with my childhood friend Leigh
- Went to the Sofitel Hotel to use the bathroom on the 36th floor. This is why…
- Decided to eat our way around Melbourne – First stop Haight’s Chocolate, then Koko Black to have a hot chocolate and then Lord of the Fries to have hot chips.
- After eating our body weight, we walked around the Docklands in a vain effort to burn off all the calories we consumed.
- Played pub trivia and managed to come 5th out of 25 teams.
- Flew back home to Sydney. This time there was no images of plane crashes as we took off.
- Melbourne is now definitely on the list of cities that I could quite happily live in.