Image via Wikipedia
Lela and I return home from Newcastle, which I promise I will blog about later. We pick the dogs up from the kennel and headed home. I decide not to unpack our bag because I really wasn’t feeling crash hot, a decision I would soon come to regret.
The evening progresses as normal. The dogs sleep, totally exhausted from their night away from home and around 7:30pm they wake up and demand to be fed, since dinner time is usually at 7pm.
Afterwards Rory goes wandering into our bedroom. I decide not to go and check on her assuming that she has just crashed out on the bed, another decision I would come to regret. About 10 minutes later I hear some suspicious rustling and run into the bedroom to find Rory sitting on the bed eating some dark chocolate my parents brought us back from Canada. The chocolate is smeared all over our doona (quilt) and our pillows. Chocolate is toxic to dogs so after a failed attempt to get Rory to vomit using warm salt water, we rush her to the vet’s. Using special salt crystals, they get her to vomit up all the chocolate plus the foil she had consumed.
This costs us $130 in vet bills and an evening spent sitting in the vet surgery waiting room.
I love my beagle, I truly do, but there are times like this that I wish she wasn’t quite as curious and her nose wasn’t so effective at seeking out chocolate. Damn beagle!