The Sydney Morning Herald has just announced the death of Australian actor Heath Ledger from a possible drug overdose. He was found by his housekeeper this afternoon at 3:30pm New York time in his Soho apartment.
Whilst I wasn’t a huge fan of his, I did really enjoy his performance in Ten Things I Hate About You and admired his courage in tackling an extremely difficult role in Brokeback Mountain for which he earned an Oscar nomination.
It is always a shame to see a life lost through drugs, especially one of such a talented young individual. Hopefully his death might make young Australians stop and think before they shoot up.
I feel most sorry for his two year daughter Matilda, who will now grow up without her father in her life. One wishes that he stopped and thought about her before taking those drugs today.
Edit: Since writing this post it has been revealed that Heath’s death was due to an accidental overdose of sleeping pills and not illegal drugs as originally suspected. A timely warning of the dangers of apparent “safe” medication and how you should never exceed the recommended maximum dose.