For some reason I have a real desire to make shortbread and cut it into Christmas-y shapes.
This may be because I have just finished baking Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cookies. However, I need to buy ingredients to make the shortbread and a cookie cutter. Also a proper biscuit tray would help.
Traditional Scottish Shortbread
* 1/2 cup flour, sifted
* 1/4 cup rice flour
* 1/4 cup superfine sugar
* 1 pinch salt
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
1. Combine flours, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Work in butter until dough has the consistency of pie crust.
3. Sprinkle board with rice flour.
4. Turn dough onto board and knead until smooth.
5. Divide into four portions and shape into small rounds.
6. Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet (or use a shortbread mold).
7. Prick with a fork.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, until cakes begin to brown slightly.
9. Allow to cool in pan.